What do I need to bring in with me to apply for service?

  • Valid government issued picture ID: Driver’s License, Passport, Military ID, etc.
  • Social Security Number
  • Lease Agreement, if renting
  • Warranty Deed, if buying
  • Membership Fee of $50.00
  • Hook-up Fee, if new construction
  • Deposit may be required based on credit check
  • Proof of registration for mobile homes
  • New line construction may require additional costs.

How much is my deposit?

A deposit may be required based on credit check and usage history of the property where you are applying for electric service.

When is my meter read?

The meter is read every day with our automated meters. The meter reading date used for your billing is determined by the route where the meter is located.

Are any special permits required to get temporary service or to convert a temporary service to permanent service?

To get a temporary service to build, Marshall County requires a zoning permit. DeSoto, Tate, and Lafayette Counties have no requirements by the county government.

To apply for permanent service from temporary service, Marshall County requires the final sewer approval. DeSoto, Tate, and Lafayette Counties have no requirements by the county government.

How do I apply for service to a new mobile home?

Northcentral Electric Power Association serves four counties. Each county has different requirements. Please check for the county where you are applying for service.

Marshall County requires:

  1. A mobile home registration certificate that is obtained from the Marshall County Tax Collector’s office
  2. The final sewer approval from the Marshall County Health Department
  3. Zoning permit from the Marshall County Zoning Office.

DeSoto County requires:

  1. Mobile home registration certificate at DeSoto County Tax Collector’s office
  2. The approved electrical inspection report from the DeSoto County Planning Commission.

Tate County requires the mobile home registration certificate from the Tate County Tax Collector’s office,

Lafayette County requires the mobile home registration certificate from the Lafayette County Tax Collector’s office.

If you upgrade your existing mobile home to a new mobile home, you will be required to provide a current year mobile home registration certificate.

How is power restored during widespread outages?

Northcentral Electric Power Association will get the most consumers lights back on in the shortest amount of time. In cases of large power outages during storms or ice, we first get our substation back in operation, then move to large sections of line. Next will be the individual outages where damage has been done to electrical equipment in their yards which obviously take longer because each service has to be checked. Northcentral is dedicated to providing dependable electric service to our consumers. However, when these outages occur, it is best to call and report them to our office. Our customer service department will take the calls during office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, weekends and holidays, please call our Call Center at 1-866-438-2642 to report an outage or emergency. With either, it is helpful to have your account number or at least the physical address of the outage. Please note, while you may sometimes get a recording at the call center, please give the requested outage information. This is the fastest way for your electric problem to be corrected. This call center can effectively handle numerous calls at one time and was put into use to help better serve our consumers’ after-hour needs in a faster and more efficient way.

How Power is Restored

Can I plant around the pad-mount transformer box?

While it is tempting to landscape around the “green boxes”, Northcentral EPA requests that you don’t. The reason being is that our crews must get into them periodically for repairs or maintenance. While we try to respect your landscaping efforts, if it impedes our access, your plants could get damaged or have to be cut down. If you must, we ask you not plant anything in front (where the lock panel is located) and maintain the 10-foot rule around the other three sides. This width is after the plant is fully grown. Remember, plants spread as they grow. In five years, many plants could fill in this area totally. Our crews have to use an 8-foot tool to access the front panel and need some legroom to use this tool. We also need the ability to get around the sides in case the transformer needs replacing.

Why is my bill so high?

The first thing to look at is your kWh use. How does it compare to previous months, or last year at this time? What changes have taken place (colder/warmer weather, new appliances, guests, etc.) The key to addressing this question is to figure out what is using the electricity in your home, and then deciding how valuable it is to you. Can you get rid of your old freezer to save some money each month? Can you set your thermostat to 68 degrees in the winter and 72 in the summer? Sometimes it comes down to cost versus comfort. You can also check the degree day data on Accuweather to figure out how hot or cold it was.

What is a kWh (kilowatt hour)?

A kilowatt hour (kWh) is a unit to measure electric consumption. For instance, a 100 watt light bulb will use 1,000 watt hours in 10 hours (100 watts x 10 hours = 1000 watt hours.) A kilowatt is 1,000 watts, so that means that one 100 watt light bulb will use 1 kWh in 10 hours. A 1,500 watt space heater will use 1.5 kWh in one hour.

Why is my neighbor’s bill so much lower than mine?

You just answered that question yourself – it is their bill, not yours. Every home has different use patterns and different electric components. A better comparison is to gauge the fluctuations of your bill from month-to-month. Usually, your kwh use (and your bill) will be lowest in the spring and fall (April, May, September and October.) When other months are higher, it is usually because of the temperature and weather conditions.